Skip to content

Village bowlers mark centenary

Share
Be the first to share!
By Zac Hannay
Nostalgia
Village bowlers mark centenary

SINCE its official opening in April 1924, Eaglesfield Bowling Club is still going strong over a century later.

“We have had a lot of new members join us this year,” said club president Angela Tait, “a lot of people didn’t know we existed but now we have got our own website, people can see us and find out how to come along. It’s a very friendly club.”

The bowling club was founded in 1923, but it did not open until the following year.

Its history is well documented in old editions of the Annandale. Old newspaper cut-outs explain how the Eaglesfield Recreational Grounds were opened on April 24 1924, by Sir Edward Johnson-Ferguson of Springkell.

Villagers had been saving up for three years to raise the £1200 required to build the facilities which included a pavilion, bowling green and tennis courts, the latter two no longer exist.

The setting is picturesque, the same pavilion which has stood for more than 100 years is now adjoined to a small extension constructed in 1990, while the backdrop consists of rolling fields, dominated by Burnswark Hill.

At this present moment, the club has 34 members competing in competitions both in the village and at other greens across the season.

On Sunday they will welcome back past members as well as special guests from other clubs in the region to mark the centenary.

CLUB PRESIDENT . . . Angela Tait

Angela added: “We have invited other bowling clubs from around the area who normally come and support us.

“There will be games and food, and we have invited ex-members and ex-presidents.

“They will be coming into the club to have afternoon tea.

“Here’s to another 100 years!”

If you are interested in trying your hand at bowls or to find out about fundraisers and upcoming competitions visit the club’s website – eaglesfieldbc.weebly.com/

Front

19th Jul

Army explode beach bomb

By Fiona Reid | DNG24