Skip to content

Toxic algae found in village loch

Share
2 Shares
By Fiona Reid
Annan and Eskdale
Toxic algae found in village loch

A HARMFUL substance which could kill a dog in 15 minutes has been found in a Dumfries and Galloway loch.

Blue green algae has been detected in Milton Loch and burn at Crocketford.

Blooms of the substance can produce harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly.

Offering advice on blue green algae, Blue Cross for Pets says: “Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water.

“Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water.

“Dogs who have been swimming in water can get the algae caught in their fur, and can ingest it while cleaning themselves later on.”

It adds: “Concentrations of the algae vary throughout the year and may not always be harmful – but you can’t tell simply by looking at them whether or not they are dangerous, so it is best not to run the risk of allowing your dog to come into contact with water where the algae may be present.”

Dumfries and Galloway Council have issued a warning to animals owners, a spokesman said: “Please be cautious in letting livestock or your dog drink from these sources.

“Please contact Environmental Health on 030 3333 3000 for more information.”

Front

12th Jul

Cottage hospital talks back on

By Fiona Reid | DNG24