Skip to content

Teens burned by fireworks

By Lisa Barbour
Annan and Eskdale
Teens burned by fireworks

TWO youths have received hospital treatment following a firework incident in Gretna on Tuesday night.

A 17-year-old and 15-year-old were both taken to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary with burns after the episode in the Raeburn Crescent area around 4.30 pm, and criminal enquiries are currently being carried out.
Sergeant Steven Wilson, of Annan Police, said: “We are continuing enquiries into the circumstances of this incident and are looking to highlight the dangers of careless and inappropriate use of fireworks in general.
“On this occasion young people have had possession of fireworks and have been letting them off without any supervision which has resulted in two young people sustaining burns.”
Officers have also been visiting retailers across the region in the build-up to Bonfire Night to remind them of their responsibilities and offering advice on the sale and safe storage of fireworks.
And there will be enhanced patrols in towns and villages this week with officers taking swift action against anyone breaking the law.
Inspector Stuart Wilson, of the community policing unit, said: “Keeping people safe is our priority this Bonfire Night and we want it to be a safe and enjoyable night of fun for all the family.
“Anyone lighting bonfires or setting off fireworks should take sensible precautions and consider the potential fire risks.
“We know that fireworks can be fun but it’s important to remember that some people, and indeed animals, may be scared or distressed by fireworks.”

Dumfries and West, Front

01st Mar

Missing man appeal

By Newsdesk | DNG24