Skip to content

Sharks late comeback

THE Solway Sharks saw mixed results in their post Christmas fixtures against the Leeds Knights and the Hull Seahawks

Be the first to share!
By Zac Hannay
Sharks late comeback
WINNING FEELING . . . the Solway Sharks claimed victory at the ice bowl on Wednesday night against the Hull Seahawks

On Boxing Day they suffered a 3-1 defeat in Yorkshire against the Knights.

But on Wednesday night they picked up the points at home to Hull following a late comeback which saw them win 5-4.

The Dumfries men opened the scoring in Leeds after Craig Peacock scored on the powerplay. But Kieran Brown was quick to level things with a nifty backhand.

Jordan Buesa found the net to put Leeds ahead in the 18th minute.

And Matt Barron smashed home a third for the home side in the second period.

After a goalless second half, Leeds collected the points and the Sharks headed back up north empty handed.

Upon their return to Dumfries Ice Bowl on Wednesday night, the Sharks were looking to earn a more positive result as they faced the Seahawks. Back on home ice for the first time in over two weeks, the deadlock was not broken until early in the second period.

A break by the Sharks saw John Dunbar pass over to Caly Robertson who went over the shoulder of the McLaughlin, to grab a home debut goal, and put the Sharks 1-0 up.

The Seahawks were eventually able to tie things up with a goal from Emil Svec and 7:10 left in the period.

Soon after Robertson was able to pass over to Dunbar, who slotted home for a power play goal, putting the Sharks 2-1 up.

The third period saw an early chance for Dunbar, which was blocked by McLaughlin, the Seahawks then went the other way, and with two minutes gone they levelled the game 2-2, thanks to a goal from Bobby Chamberlain.

The Seahawks then put themselves ahead for the first time of the evening thanks to a Dec Balmer goal with 3:55 played in the period. They doubled their lead with 7:27 left in the period, when Chamberlin grabbed his second of the night, setting a huge task for the Sharks to overcome.

A huge third goal for the Sharks, and second of the night for Robertson with 1:24 left to play, gave the Dumfries men a massive opportunity to tie the game. And the home team tied things up with 37 seconds left in the third period, as Olivier Arseneau blasted home, forcing a sudden death overtime.

A frantic opening to the overtime period, saw Dunbar skate coast to coast for the Sharks, ripping a slap shot into the back of the Seahawks net with just 35 seconds gone, securing the two points and a 5-4 win.

The Sharks look to continue their winning ways against the Telford Tigers at home tomorrow, with a 6 pm face-off. Tickets are now available and can be purchased online via the Sharks website or in person at the Dumfries Ice Bowl.

Zak's Euros dream

Zak's Euros dream

But team need to raise £40k to cover costs


01st Mar

Funding farming to help tackle climate change

By Zac Hannay | DNG24