Quantcast
Photo project update - DNG Online Limited
Skip to content

Photo project update

Share
Be the first to share!
By Fiona Reid
Nostalgia
Photo project update

OVER 116,000 photos have now been taken of the region’s graveyards for an archive project.

The mammoth undertaking has been organised by and carried out by Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society members and volunteers.

They launched a Graveyard Photographic Project in February 2020 with the aim of capturing every headstone locally.

And an update in their latest newsletter reveals they have now photographed 195 of Dumfries and Galloway’s 240 graveyards, 81 per cent.

The pictures are in their archive and will be available to view at the research centre in Dumfries when it reopens.

Furthermore, all the detail from the headstones is also being transcribed and archived.

Already, 20 per cent of information has been completed and now a call has been made for more volunteers to help with the remaining 80 per cent.

A society spokesman said: “Transcribing the photos can be done by anyone, worldwide, in the comfort of their own home on their own computer. We already have 50 volunteers working on this, but we need more.”

Anyone interested in helping out should contact [email protected]

Nostalgia

22nd Oct

Will region be the ‘real deal’ for two of TV’s top antiques experts?

By Fiona Reid | DNG24

Will region be the ‘real deal’ for two of TV’s top antiques experts?

TWO of television’s favourite antiques dealers will be visiting Dumfries and Galloway in November looking for the ‘Real Deal’.

Continue reading
Clear masks will be a ‘breakthrough’

Clear masks will be a ‘breakthrough’

A NEW range of clear face masks have been launched by Dumfriesshire company Alpha Solway.