Skip to content

No plea made after ‘serious assault’ at caravan park

By Euan Maxwell
No plea made after ‘serious assault’ at caravan park

A MAN has been charged with endangering another man’s life at Hoddom Castle Caravan Park at the weekend.

David Leslie made no plea to ‘an assault to a severe injury, permanent disfigurement and danger to life’ charge at Dumfries Sheriff Court on Monday.

He also made no plea to a section 49 charge – which states having a blade or point in a public place.

It comes after police confirmed a “serious assault” had taken place at the park at 10 pm on Saturday, August 13, which left a 31-year-old man with serious but not life-threatening injuries.

Leslie, 45, of Glasgow, was arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

Detective Inspector Graeme Robertson said: “Around 10pm on Saturday, 13 August, 2022, police were called to a caravan park in the Lockerbie area, following a report of a serious assault.

“A 31-year-old man was treated in hospital with serious, but not life-threatening injuries. A 45-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident, and will appear at court on Monday, 15 August, 2022.”

Hoddom Castle Caravan Park released a statement on their social media referring to the incident.

A spokesman said: “As you may, or may not, be aware, a serious incident occurred outside the Coach House on Saturday evening, leading to the arrival of police officers and paramedics.

“The incident was an isolated one, the first and only major incident in our near 50-year history and involved one customer and a security guard at the Ramp up the Ruins event.

“As this is an ongoing police investigation, we cannot comment more on the details at this time.

“Furthermore, please refrain from posting speculation or rumours on social media, as this may affect the investigation moving forward.

“The safety of our customers is our number one priority and we have removed the suspect from the park and terminated their licence.

“They will not be returning to site. Furthermore, we are actively reviewing the offering at the Coach House moving forward to ensure that incidents like this do not happen again at Hoddom Castle Caravan Park.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience and understanding at this time, and hope that you will continue to enjoy Hoddom Castle for many years to come.”

After Leslie’s no plea, he was committed for further examination and was remanded in custody. He is expected to appear in court again within the next eight days.