Skip to content

Blaze at popular tea room and shop

Share
2 Shares
By Abbey Morton
Dumfries and West
Blaze at popular tea room and shop

FOUL-play has been ruled out after a fire at a village tea room last week.

Two fire crews from Dumfries were called to the Glencaple businesses at about 6.30 am last Wednesday after reports of fire.

And Police Scotland officers have confirmed there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the blaze.
Smoke was billowing from the roof and open windows as firefighters arrived to the early morning scene and used high-pressure hoses to tackle the flames.
The fire was extinguished within a few hours, but crews remained on site until 10.45 pm dampening hotspots, cutting walls and using thermal imaging equipment.
The road next to the Caerlaverock Tea Room was closed for safety reasons, and a nearby camper van was moved to safety.
Chairman of the Caerlaverock Community Association Douglas Anderson said: “We are all gutted in the community.
“It’s one of those places that’s the heart of the community.”
Meanwhile, a statement on the Caerlaverock Community Association website yesterday said: “Following the fire at the Caerlaverock Tearoom and Shop in Glencaple, we have learned that there will be major work to repair damage caused by the acrid smoke, estimated at about six to nine months.”
They also gave their regards to the Jim and Ann McLatchie, who run the businesses, as well as all the staff.

Be

17th May

Homes sweet homes on the TV

By Fiona Reid | DNG24