Skip to content

Award for former harbourmaster’s building

Share
Be the first to share!
By Christie Breen
Dumfries and West
Award for former harbourmaster’s building

STRANRAER’S old harbourmaster’s office has been commended by the council, following a successful redevelopment as part of the town’s regeneration scheme.

Originally used for the adjacent public weighbridge, it was constructed with a bequest from John Simpson in 1938 and boasted a prominent clock tower memorial.

To bring the old building back into use, a heritage exhibition has recently been developed with valuable input from members of Stranraer and District Local History Trust, John Ross and Stranraer Development Trust, alongside input from Dumfries and Galloway Council. It includes information about the history of the waterfront, from the development of the west and east piers through the ferry service years to the current changing waterfront use.

The sensitive redevelopment work carried out has recently been recognised with a commendation in the Dumfries and Galloway Design Awards, which celebrate restoration and adaption of buildings in ways that help the region meet its economic and environmental goals.

Commenting on the success of the redevelopment, Cllr Ian Carruthers said: “Investment in Stranraer’s historic buildings ensures the high quality of Stranraer’s built environment is maintained for the benefit of the local community, businesses and visitors to the town. “Establishing this heritage exhibition will allow the old harbourmaster’s building to re-open to the public and celebrate the many facets of Stranraer waterfront past and present.”

The Harbourmaster’s heritage exhibition is now open to the public during the opening hours of the adjacent Gateway to Galloway facility.

Front

24th Feb

Major lights upgrade will save council over £500,000

By Marc | DNG24