The directors of ABC Nursery in Ecclefechan were dismayed to discover that entry had
been forced into the office sometime between 5 pm on Wednesday and 8 am yesterday morning, and that a four-figure sum of money had been taken.
Scenes of crime officers worked alongside local police teams at the scene throughout the day yesterday and the building was closed to pupils.
But director Malcolm McEwan told the Observer last night that they would ensure it was business as normal today.
He said: “We’ve had 25 years with no trouble so it’s sickening and upsetting, especially as the nursery has been part of the community for 25 years.
“We will need to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down and start over again, but that is exactly what we will be doing.”
He added: “When we first heard about the break-in the staff had to ring all the parents that were due to come in and it was just utter disbelief as they could not believe it.
“The parents were all upset, as were the children, as this is their life and their world and somebody has violated it, which is just so annoying and upsetting.”
Meanwhile, villagers also took to social networking pages to share the news and condemn the culprits.
Ashley Johnstone posted: “Disgusting. Felt heart sorry for them when they phoned me
this morning to say nursery was closed. Awful.”
And Raymond Carruthers added: “Shocking taking from kids.”
Police in Lockerbie are appealing for anyone who has any information about the break-in to contact them as a matter of urgency.
Constable Michael Briody said: “Thankfully there was no-one in the nursery at the time of the break-in. Whoever is responsible ransacked the premises and stole money which had been locked away in the office.
“We are checking CCTV in the area and appealing to anyone who was in the area and saw anything suspicious at the nursery to contact us on 101 or Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 555 111.”