The Scottish SPCA are urging fishermen at Lochrutton Loch to dispose of their used equipment responsibly after the young swan became trapped and died.
Scotland’s animal welfare charity was alerted last Wednesday when the cygnet was seen swimming with the wire tangled around his body at the loch in Lochfoot.
Despite the best efforts of the attending officer, the cygnet drowned after he struggled to free himself.
Animal rescue officer Sally Henderson said: “When I arrived at the loch the cygnet was swimming with the fishing wire tangled around him.
“He had swallowed the hook at the lure and the line was attached to the bottom of the loch.
“As a result, he couldn’t swim away and was panicking, tangling himself even further.
“Tragically, he drowned while I was trying to reach him.
“His parents and five other siblings were surrounding him when this was happening and they were extremely distressed.”
Sally added: “What makes this situation particularly upsetting is it could have been easily prevented.
“We are urging anyone fishing at Lochrutton Loch to make sure they clear away every last piece of equipment as it will prevent tragedies like this happening again.”